Resize images for faster download
This article describes how to obtain the Microsoft Image Resize Power toy and then use it to resize images.
So you've got the latest digital camera. You've taken lots of photos at the highest resolution possible just in case you want to print them out. The only problem is that you now want to upload them to your website or email them to colleagues but it takes forever.
Modern digital cameras take very high resolution images, this is great for print work, but means that the resulting images can be very large. Large images take a long time for visitors to download from your site and could make the difference between them choosing your services and moving onto your competitors faster site!
Obtaining and Installing the Resize Tool
- Visit the following address:
Windows XP Image Resize Powertoy
- In the right-hand column, download the file from the "Image Resizer > ImageResizer.exe" link by right-clicking, choosing "Save Target As..." and then choosing somewhere to save the file.
- Install the program by running the file you have just downloaded.
- You may be asked to restart your computer, if so follow any onscreen instructions.
- Select the file(s) that you wish to resize.
- Right-click one of the files, and choose the "Resize Pictures" menu option.
- 640x480 is ample size (and eazyCMS will resize it anyway), so ensure that the "Small" option is checked.
- To make sure that you don't overwrite your original photos, click "Advanced" and check that the "Resize the original pictures" option is NOT checked.
- Click OK. New versions of each of the images will appear in the folder, with filenames in the format "Image Name (Small)".
- Upload these with the Image Library module in eazyCMS. And that's it!